Location: South Africa
Location: Cape Town
Reports to: O&M Manager
- Ensure efficient operation and optimal performance of solar PV assets by promptly correcting site faults.
- Diagnose and repair string faults on solar plants using string testers and Meteocontrol monitoring portal.
- Replace string home runs and resolve DC cable issues.
- Carry out detailed fault-finding on communications boards and equipment, identifying hazards, faulty components and determining repair or replacement needs.
- Monitor and interpret data on 3G sim cards and inverter online portals.
- Understand inverter yield deviations, faults, and error codes.
- Safely and efficiently work with different types of inverters (SMA, Huawei, etc.), updating firmware (remotely or on site) and downloading event logs.
- Replace faulty inverters and liaise with manufacturer support teams through to conclusion and resolution on site.
- Perform visual inspections, replace damaged solar panels, troubleshoot breakers, and work within electrical distribution boards.
- Troubleshoot and maximize the performance of the solar plant as a whole.
- Work with motor mechanisms on breakers and grid-monitoring relays.
- Maintain the Decentral O&M vehicle, including refuelling and scheduled servicing.
- Qualified electrician with solar PV experience or actively pursuing electrician qualification.
- At least 3 years of direct experience in the solar energy industry.
- Proficient in working with electrical systems and various forms of communications equipment (e.g., 3G routers, ethernet switches, data-loggers, inverter managers).
- Familiarity with electronic equipment and common communications hardware used in the solar PV industry.
- Experience in using multimeters and solar string testers.
- Preferred: Valid Working at Heights certificate (training can be provided).
- Code B driving licence.
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Office Suite and internet- and ethernet-based communications platforms. Competent in inverter software, able to research and upskill where necessary.
- Highly conscientious, attentive to detail, and proactive in problem-solving and process improvement.
- Self-motivated with a high level of initiative.
- Able to organise and work independently: you will liaise with the main O&M team, which is based in Johannesburg, but will have no supervisor physically present.
Decentral Energy offers an exciting opportunity to work at the forefront of the renewable energy industry. As an O&M Technician, you will make a vital contribution to our mission to promote sustainable energy solutions in South Africa.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace that welcomes individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We would particularly encourage applications from candidates from groups that are underrepresented in the sector.
To apply, please click the link below to send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.